Hello you, and welcome to inside the mind of an Obsessive Compulsive Designer.
What better way to kick off this creative journey than to start with a super simple DIY that adds a beautiful custom accent to your home. If you live in a smaller home or an apartment, like I do, you know how difficult it is to come by decent counter space in a bathroom. I didn’t have adequate counter space for my necklace display so I began thinking of other methods of storing them. Many people overlook wall space as being used for storage, but it is something I rely on in my home. Arranging my bathroom wall as a gallery wall serves as something pleasing to look at while being functional. That being said, I turned to Pinterest to find inspiration. I quickly found a concept I enjoyed and began working on tweaking it to my taste.
Here is what I used to make this DIY necklace display system:
- One piece of cedar wood – You can use your choice of wood species but the cedar holds onto the stain well and gives you a dark espresso finish.
- Three pairs of hooks – Find my exact hooks here : http://www.amazon.com/AllLife-Crystal-Tieback-Curtain-Tassel/dp/B00B4R79M0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
- Picture hanging teeth – Found at your local Home Depot or Lowes stores.
- DIY aged stain – Here is the recipe I followed : http://www.diypete.com/how-to-make-steel-wool-and-vinegar-stain/
- Paint brush – Any old paint brush you have laying around will do.
Many of these products I had floating around my kitchen or garage so the only items that needed to be purchased were the hooks ($15) and the picture hanging teeth ($5). So, this DIY costed me a total of $20! How amazing is that?! Plus it isn’t a time consuming process at all.
Here is what I did:
- I created the DIY aged stain mixture and set that aside to mix together for a few days.
- While the stain mixture was set aside for those few days, I took care of some of the busy work. I made sure to place my order on amazon for the hooks and picked up the picture hanging teeth. Also, make sure you measure your wall area and necklaces to see how big of a piece of wood you will need. Once I measured, I cut the wood down to the ideal size.
- Once my stain mixture was ready, I painted one layer onto the piece of wood.
- *Be sure you do this outside, preferably in a garage. The lovely smell of vinegar is rather potent!*
- The next day I checked on the stain and gave it another coat to darken it to the shade I wanted.
- Once completely dry I nailed in the picture hanging teeth to the back and screwed the hooks onto the front in the pattern I desired.
- The last step is to hang it and ENJOY!!
I am obsessed with how this turned out and I appreciate it all the more because I did it myself. The price tag is definitely a plus too! 😉 Keep in mind that this DIY can be used for a variety of different purposes. I used mine for necklaces but also explore its uses as a coat rack, a decorative way to string picture frames from, etc. If you decide to try this out, let me know your results!