Hello you, and welcome to inside the mind of an Obsessive Compulsive Designer
What a gorgeous way to start of the week! I was definitely feeling the need to shop around for some home décor this weekend. So, I satisfied that need with that big gorgeous canvas up on the wall (I’m OBSESSED). Then I got to thinking: “What better way to start the week than with some home décor inspiration?” Well, here I am! I’ve already talked about Creating Your Personal Oasis in your bedroom; so, let’s take today to talk about your living room.
This post is for all you 20-somethings out there or simply all of you out there decorating on a budget. I’m in the same boat as all of you; except as a designer, I’m tempted by all of this home décor EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. It’s exhausting trying to resist buying these 24/7! So let me help you figure out what you need to buy to start achieving that designer feel. My living room is nowhere near complete but, like all projects, it’s a journey that happens in phases. So, here are five simple tips that can help you achieve that designer look for less.
- Invest in your signature pieces. Those pieces include the larger pieces of furniture that get used most frequently. For me, that was the sectional. We got ours at Homemakers a year ago for only $600! (Click here for the exact sectional.) Gorgeous durable pieces don’t always have to cost an arm and a leg. This sectional has held up through a year of cats, dogs, and us without showing any of it. If this sectional isn’t your style, be sure to check out sites like Overstock, Joss and Main, and Wayfair for some amazing deals on your signature pieces.
- Ditch the socks. I’ll be the first to remove carpeting in any place I live in. However, I’ve got a serious soft spot for rugs. They’re a great way to dress up a room and add a touch of color or texture. I purchased ours on Wayfair for a pretty decent price (click here for the exact rug)!
- Mix the old with the new. You can’t go purchasing all new everything (not yet at least). So, learn to repurpose and mix your old pieces with the new. Our coffee table originally was a light pine color that really didn’t work in our home or with any of our furniture. Some time and paint (and the help of my mother) changed that stubborn old piece into a timeless piece I can mix with any style.
- Get cozy. This is where decorating really starts to get fun. Adding accent pillows and throw blankets easily take your living room to the next level. Sadly, accent pillows aren’t too cheap. However, if you look for comfort as well as aesthetically pleasing pillows, you’ll find the perfect balance that will make the decision whether or not to buy the pillow a simple one. The furry pillows came from HomeGoods while the navy and the gold pillows came from Target. (They no longer carry the navy pillows but they were part of the Nate Berkus collection.)
- Add the wow factor. Whether you do this through artwork, lighting, or décor it’ll certainly add the extra push to make your living room really come together. This piece of art is my first installment of this step. It definitely did not come cheap…so the lamp and décor I have in mind will need to wait (the art was also a HomeGoods purchase so I sadly can’t link it). And that’s okay! If you can practice patience, I promise the end look will be much more satisfying!