Hello you, and welcome to inside the mind of an Obsessive Compulsive Designer.
Makeup is fun and all, but no one can disagree with how amazing it feels to take it off at the end of the day! Over the years I’ve tried a lot of different products out on my skin to try and find the best combination for me; and, after 23 years, I think I’ve got it!
My Skin Type: I tend to be more normal but get oily in my t-zone areas. I’ve struggled with acne as much as the next person, not too bad but not crystal clear skin either. Most of my acne is hormonal but I’ll get the occasional pimple in areas I subconsciously touch throughout the day (Ex: chin and temples).
- My nightly routine always starts with a makeup remover. The one I’ve been using for the past couple years is the Mario Badescu Cucumber Cleansing Lotion on a cotton pad. Despite what the name says, it is not lotion. It does a great job breaking down my makeup and leaving my skin feeling fresh. Using one pad for my face and a separate one for my eyes seem to work best for me and keeps junk from clogging my pores.
- After I have removed my makeup sufficiently, I go in with my cleanser. Currently, I have been trying out the Clean and Clear Advantage Acne Control and am really enjoying it! It definitely isn’t as natural of a formula as my makeup remover but it doesn’t irritate my sensitive skin. I ALWAYS dry my face off with a fresh towel to prevent the buildup of bacteria and undoing all the cleansing I just did.
- Aloe Vera is a secret of mine that really helps my sensitive skin. The aloe calms down any irritation and helps with reducing redness. Definitely a good idea to add to your regimen.
- Next, I like to go in with my moisturizer. I make sure to apply a decent amount so my skin can continue soaking it in all night. Be sure to bring down the moisturizer onto your neck (it’s one of the first places to show your age!).
- Eye cream has definitely helped out my bags and help me eliminate the need for color correcting during my makeup routine. I added this about a year ago to help prevent wrinkles and eye bags. So far, it has done a great job! (Looking for a great cruelty free eye cream to move onto after this one.)
- I tend to sway more towards using Vaseline as my lip treatment at night. It definitely helps keep my lips moisturized enough to handle liquid lipsticks every day. Vaseline works much better than a simple chapstick does but it’s often too thick to wear during the day.
- For pimple spot treatment, I always go back to my Mario Badescu Drying Lotion. I’ve used this product for years now and it does a wonderful job drying out my acne. Be sure to ONLY apply it directly to the pimple because it is very drying. I cannot say enough good things about this product!
It may seem a little excessive but I swear by each and every step. I’m the epitome of a lazy girl but I can’t find any corners to cut when it comes to my skincare routine. If I skip a step, I can tell the next morning. Good news is, after some time, it becomes habit and now I can get through all these steps in less than 5 minutes! Makeup is fun but products and trends come and go. Be good to your skin, you have it forever!